Sunday 24 February 2013

Different paths, great big God

Yesterday I reconciled with a friend I have not been in touch with for over 3 years. It was one of the most freeing experiences I think I have ever had. I have never found relationships easy and reconciliation does not come naturally to me. I think I see more now why forgiveness is given such a central place in our relationship with God. It is a beautiful thing, simple but yet so complicated.

We met and caught up. How to summarise three years? It humbled me to hear about the things my friend had overcome in the time I had kept my distance.

Before seeing this friend, we had had a brief meeting with one of our closest friends, who had some great news and was preparing for an exciting new phase in life.

Reflecting on my day afterwards, I remembered all the years we have known these friends of ours, all the changes we have all been through, all the places we have journeyed through. It got me thinking about how much things and people change.

We are constantly evolving. We grow and learn and live. We are all on different journeys, with different struggles and burdens to bear, different fears and hopes and dreams. Sometimes our lives cross over and we have the privilege of being part of each others' journeys.

We all met at uni and I am a little amazed at how different our paths since then have been. We are not the people we used to be, and we live such different lives now. From careers to callings to life stages, things have really changed. We are all seeking to serve God with our lives, in the ways that we know how.

Sometimes I am blinded by my calling, my passions and my gifts. I see the ways other people are journeying and I think they are doing it wrong, that they aren't doing justice to God and his kingdom. I can be closeminded.

Reflecting on yesterday got me thinking about how big God is. The whole world, with its nearing 8 billion people and all their different journeys and paths to finding him. It got me thinking, God can't be narrow minded and closed to possibilities, insensitive to differences and struggles. He must see all of us, on our different pathways to his peace, and love and cherish us all the same.

We must have an amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis