Saturday 30 March 2013

For the Christian part of me


For the Christian part of me by Joel McKerrow

"For the Christian part of me
Not for the Christ but for the Christian
I am sorry
For when I look at the book and look at my life
When I look at the Christ and look at the church
The two are as black and white
So for the way I have silenced you with words I thought were the only true
For every preacher that has yelled at you
Every Bible that’s been quoted at you
Every megaphone that has damned you 
Every friend that has judged you
Every parent that has guilted you
I am sorry
For my brothers who say that God hates fags
Oh how I wish they were not my brothers
Sometimes it is easier to love your enemies than your kin
So to every boy who sliced wrists ‘cause he didn’t fit within
No matter how much he pushed and pulled did not fit in his skin
Was told he was sin
That demons lurked within
I am sorry
You are not broken because you are gay
We are all broken because we are human
Because we treat each other this way
The way we judge by the words that were spoken
By the burkha you were cloaked in
By the crystals you believed in
By the gender you born in
So to every person I did not converse with but tried to convert instead
I’m sorry for the way I couldn’t see past these glasses
Sorry for the way I thought my pastor spoke the absolute truth
Didn’t know he was broken just like the rest of us
Thought he was the best of us
For the arrogance I thought was confidence
When I thought I was right and you were wrong
We were good and you were bad
We were light and you were dark
I took a pen, drew a line before us
Took some bricks, built a wall between us
Stood on a pedestal, crafted a cross into a pulpit and yelled at you from within it
I am sorry
And to the lady who was beaten as I sang songs within my church
To the addict who overdosed as I dined with Christian friends
To the beggar who needs money as my money built church buildings
To the boat person arriving on these shores of hope and hopelessness
To the teenager who is pregnant with abortion as an option
I am sorry we have yelled at you, made you feel so alone
We should have put an arm around you and walked with you home
Whether it was a pram you pushed before you that day or just the will to keep on walking 
So for the wars that were fought in the name of the Christ
And the swords that were swung in the name of his love
The bombs that exploded, the bullets sang hymns
The tanks marched on like good Christian soldiers 
Who prayed every day for their God to be with them
As their brothers they fought and their sisters they shot
Their sons in the flame
Did we not recognise they all prayed the same
For this God to be with them, for this God to protect
Oh how this God must have wept
If only we’d listened to the prayer of the other
If only we’d seen that he was our brother
Whether on his knees with his hands to the East
Whether yarmulka-wearing or burkha-bearing
Whether sitting beneath the bodhi tree or kissing the feet of some saint celebrity
We lifted the rifle to shoot the enemy 
The cross-bearing flag to show our allegiance to be 
We did not hear the sound whispered from the cross that day
Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do
We forgot that the Christ we claim to follow walked the talk of non-violence
Ate the stale bread of silence
Stood up against the systems of military might
Of fear and oppression
Of bigoted aggression
This is my confession
So with every part of me I would keep following this Jesus 
And the life that he lives and the love that he gives
Yet every part of me because of this history would deny that I am a Christian
To put high walls between these brothers and I
But who am I to be bigoted about the bigoted
And who am I to condemn those who condemn 
If I keep the name Christian, perhaps I can speak to them
Remind them of this Jesus of Mother T and Martin King
Of Mandela and Tutu
Of that great man from Assisi
Yes, there is still some pride left in my ancestry
And for all else, I say
I am sorry
I am sorry."


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis